“In each stage of the processes of my creating, new ideas and concepts seem to reveal themselves, bringing a new life to my work. Working devoutly in clay, I continue to be challenged and seduced by the medium. The manipulation of the material is what excites me, whether I am working big or small, loosely or precisely.
Interior and exterior spaces are primary oppositions that I use in my work both formally and conceptually. Using animal forms as a subjects for my process and vehicles for my content, I am able to address these spaces literally and metaphorically. The animal form allows me to juxtapose other distinct opposites such as life and death, positive and negative. I feel that through this synthesis I am presenting questions and concerns which are not necessarily answered in the work.
Recently, I am interested in creating forms or sculptures through the use of multiples. The multiples I am using are specifically segments of animals made with both hand-built and mold made forms. By fragmenting and stacking them, I am trying to obscure the initial subject and capture the evidence of a space and motion. I work and build both intuitively and analytically in an attempt to contrast these formal characteristics and to push my concepts.” Dryden Wells
Dryden Wells, originally from St. Louis, Missouri, first completed a BFA in Ceramics and a BSED (K-12) at Missouri State University in Springfield, MO. In the Fall of 2005, Wells moved to Lubbock, Texas, to pursue an MFA degree in Ceramics at Texas Tech University, which he completed Spring of 2008. Wells, having previously been a resident artist at the Pottery Workshop: An Experimental Sculpture Factory in Jingdezhen, China, during the summers of 2006 and 2007, has recently been hired as the Design Studio Manager of The Pottery Workshop to assist in the maintenance and development of the Design Studio as well as to continue the development of his own work.
Dryden Wells C.V. (resume) - View his works
2008 - MFA in Ceramics/sculpture, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX
2004 - BFA in Ceramics, Missouri State University, Springfield, MO
- BSED Art Education-Comprehensive, Missouri State University, Springfield, MO
2008 - In/Out, rGallery at RENDr, Lubbock , TX
2007 - Featured Artist: Dryden Wells, Charles Adams Gallery, Lubbock, TX
SELECTED RECENT GROUP EXHIBITIONS
2010 - China-China: Shanghai World Modern Ceramics Art Show, Series 1, Porcelain in Contemporary Discourse, Shanghai Museum of Arts and Crafts, Shanghai Arts & Crafts Association, Shanghai Ceramics Art Association and Shanghai University Fine Arts College and Crafts, International Ceramic Expo, Shanghai, China
- Clay & The Transferred Image II, Westby Gallery, Rowan University, Glassboro, NJ
- After China: The Politics of Fabrication, NCECA Invitational exhibition, The Ellis Armory, Pittsburgh, PA
- Fotofest: China/Transitions, Gallery M2, Houston, TX
- Don’t Everyone Rock At Once: Innovative Works by Eric Nichols, Eric Hoefer, Ruth Reese, Eric Nauman and Dryden Wells, MadArt Gallery, St. Louis, MO
- After China, Las Cruces Museum of Fine Art, NM
2008 - International Cone Box Show, NCECA, Pittsburgh, PA; Baker University; Baldwin City, KS
2007 - Combined Talents: Florida International Exhibition, Museum of Fine Arts, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL
- Feats of Clay XX, Gladding McBean Terra Cotta Factory, Lincoln Arts, Sacramento, CA
- Clay on the Wall: 2007 Clay National, Landmark Arts, Texas Tech University, School of Art, Lubbock, TX
- Ggallery Clay Invitational, Ggallery, Houston, TX
- Ceramic Sculpture National Juried Exhibition, Nicholls State University, Thibodaux, LA
- The Amarillo Biennial 600: Clay, Museum of Fine Arts, Amarillo, TX
2006 - International Cone Box Show, NCECA, Portland, OR & Baker University; Baldwin City, KS
- PWS Resident Artists Exhibition, The Pottery Workshop: An Experimental Sculpture Factory, Jingdezhen, China
- Anniversary Show, Gallery M2; Houston, TX
2004- 100 Teapots 2, Baltimore Clayworks, Baltimore, MD
- OVER 36/Under 12, The Foundry Art Centre, St. Charles, MO
2008 - 2010 - China: Shanghai World Modern Ceramics Art Show, Series 1, Porcelain in Contemporary Discourse (exhibition catalogue, 6 images and artist statement), Shanghai Museum of Arts and Crafts, Shanghai Arts & Crafts Association, Shanghai Ceramics Art Association and Shanghai University Fine Arts College.
- 500 Platters, Plates & Chargers, Lark Books, Sterling Publishing Co., Inc., (1 image).
- Ceramics Monthly, February 2008, p. 21, (1 image).
2007 - 500 Tiles, Lark Books, Sterling Publishing Co., Inc., (2 images).
- Clay on the Wall: 2007 Clay National (exhibition catalogue, 1 image) Landmark Arts, Texas Tech University, School of Art, Lubbock, TX
- Combined Talents: Florida International Exhibition (exhibition catalogue, 1 image and artist statement) Museum of Fine Arts, Florida State University, Tallahassee
- Feats of Clay XX (exhibition catalogue, 1 image) Gladding McBean Terra Cotta Factory, Lincoln Arts, Sacramento, CA
- The Amarillo Biennial 600: Clay (exhibition catalogue, 1 image) Museum of Fine Arts, Amarillo, TX
2005 - Teapots: Makers & Collectors by Dona Z. Meilach,.Schiffer Publishing Co., (1 image).
- Shanghai Museum of Arts & Crafts (6 artworks) (2008)
- Las Cruces Museum of Art, New Mexico (1 artwork)
- Various Private Collections
2004 - Group Award, OVER 36/Under 12, The Foundry Art Centre, St. Charles, MO Regional
- National Council on Education for the Ceramic Arts (NCECA)
- College Arts Association (CAA)
Visit Dryden Wells’ website.
→ View our featured ceramic artists list (posts).
→ Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and like our Facebook page if you want to stay in touch with us.
© Photographs, written works or other media, are subject to copyright and belong to the artist or to Ceramics Now Magazine. Cannot be used without permission.