International Ceramic Art Symposium LANDescape / Mark Rothko Art Centre, Daugavpils, Latvia
12-25 August 2013
Deadline for applications: June 30, 2013
International Ceramic Art Symposium “LANDescape” is a new joint initiative of Daugavpils Clay Art Center and Daugavpils Rothko Art Center which emerged from both partner organizations’ activities and co-operation aimed at promoting contemporary art, including contemporary ceramic processes in Latvia.
In the framework of planned ceramic symposium “LANDescape”, drawing inspiration both from Latvian nature and cultural space, as well as personal world, the participants are invited to create unique ceramic art works with their chosen materials and techniques, although there is a conjunctive theme, that indicates „spurting”, „escaping” „getting away”, „political position” etc., as well as being away from what we are used for and „coming from earth or into it” in the aspect of clay - material used.
Symposium is the place and time when artists, being freed from everyday worries and organizing their social life, can get completely drawn in the creative process. This kind of creative work, not only allows ceramists to meet colleagues from other countries and share experiences, but also to divert as much creative energy of the participants as possible towards creation, that may result in unique works of art.
Daugavpils as symposium venue is significant as it is the eastern border city of European Union, which attracts great artists’ attention with the region’s diverse ethnic, culturally historical environment, with deep cultural traditions and where different cultural and artistic links are self-evident. In addition, within Latvia, it is one of the largest border cities and provides a stimulating environment for cross-border artistic cooperation.
1. To collectively create ceramic fire sculpture ensemble, thus improving the cultural space of Daugavpils;
2. To create unique contemporary ceramic objects for Latvian art and cultural space, to create a platform for artists to exchange experiences and generate creative idea, as well as to promote contemporary ceramic processes in the society;
3. To promote high quality contemporary art availability to public, raise public interest in culture, preservation of cultural heritage, to promote the creation of new artworks and their collections.
Symposium organizers’ liabilities:
1. Artists accommodation costs in Daugavpils (hotel and meals);
2. Working studios;
3. Working materials – clay, chamotte clay, glazing, etc.
4. Opportunity to use wood-firing kiln, electric kiln up to 1300 degrees Celsius, as well as a chance to explore different types of individual firing;
5. Publicity (information in mass media, publishing of symposium catalogue);
6. Recreation possibilities: tour around the city and region, visiting educational arts establishments in Daugavpils;
7. Opportunity to present a creative work;
8. Symposium opening exhibition (opening on August 12, 2013);
9. Symposium final exhibition (opening on August 24, 2013).
Application and other materials added should be sent by e-mail at email@example.com
Contact: Valentins Petjko, +37120207533, firstname.lastname@example.org