Assistant Professor Ceramics at the Alberta College of Art + Design (ACAD), Calgary, Canada
Applications deadline: February 28, 2014
ACAD’s School of Craft + Emerging Media welcomes applications for the following Permanent Faculty position commencing in the fall semester of the 2014-2015 academic year: Assistant Professor, Ceramics (Competition # 1314-DE-FP-27).
The successful candidate will be expected to teach, demonstrate an active research/studio practice, and contribute to the strategic plan of the College through engagement in administrative service.
Summary of Responsibilities - The successful candidate will:
- Teach in all levels of the BFA and proposed MFA in Craft Media program, studio and lecture/seminar courses;
- Contribute actively to curriculum development in the School ofCraft + Emerging Mediaand to the strategic initiatives of ACAD’s Research and Academic Affairs;
- Maintain research/studio practice and contributions to research and scholarship in the field of contemporary craft, specifically ceramics;
- Demonstrate a commitment to continuing pedagogical and academic excellence;
- Provide service to the Faculty and College governance framework, including outreach activities that contribute to the academic life and profile of the College.
Qualifications - The successful candidate will:
- Hold a minimum of a Masters level degree or an equivalent level of graduate education.
- Have a minimum of five (5) years post-secondary teaching experience at the graduate and undergraduate levels (outside of graduate teaching assistantships) in studio, lecture, and seminar class formats.
- Have a minimum of five (5) years of research/studio practice outside of post secondary education
- Have a sound knowledge of ceramic technologies, methodologies, including wheel throwing, hand-building, mold-making and casting, clay and glaze technology, and knowledge of kiln firing technologies;
- Have experience with digital object design and fabrication technologies;
- Have experience teaching and working in interdisciplinary and trans-disciplinary contexts;
- Have a comprehensive knowledge of Ceramics history, contemporary theory and discourse in ceramics practices;
- Have a broad knowledge of history, theory and practice as it applies to Craft, Art and Design;
- Have excellent communication, interpersonal, time management, and organizational skills;
- Have social and theoretical understandings of technology, art and culture;
- Have the ability to organize collaboration in studio production or research;
- Have excellent communication, interpersonal and time management/organizational skills;
- Be community-minded and team oriented.
Preference may be given to candidates with:
- Ceramics studio management experience;
- An active Studio Pottery practice.
Please submit applications as per the instructions on our How To Apply webpage. In addition, include: artist statements outlining philosophies and practices regarding teaching and studio practice. Only applications submitted electronically will be considered. Please package all files as a single PDF document and do not submit as a “zip” or “Stuffit” compressed file.
Click here to submit your application.
The Alberta College of Art + Design (ACAD) is committed to an academic studio-based education for students in fine art, design, craft and digital media. The result is a rigorous studio program, which produces critical thinkers, creative problem solvers, and artists with well-defined practices. ACAD is a leading centre for education and research; a catalyst for creative inquiry and cultural development. We engage the world and create possibilities.
Calgary is situated at the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. ACAD, an integral part of Canada, Alberta and Calgary’s cultural community, offers four-year bachelor’s programs and is developing our first graduate program. The College has an exciting long-term vision that reaffirms its educational mission within an arts and cultural context where design and creativity are keys to the cultural prosperity agenda.
> More articles / View the list of articles, reviews and special features