Katie Spragg: Gathering, 2020
Make Hauser & Wirth Somerset, 2020
A collection of work in response to the Piet Oudolf garden at Hauser & Wirth, Somerset, UK and the surrounding landscape, exhibited as part of a group show in the Make Gallery. I was due to do a residency at the gallery but, due to the pandemic, instead made a number of site visits in February, August and September 2020, the first two separated by a national lockdown. I created ten new works as a response to nature, time and place.
A theme that threads through this work is interactions – interactions between plants; of same and different species, interactions across time, between cultivated/curated spaces of nature and naturally occurring wild plants and interactions between humans and plants.
I have created imaginary worlds, enlarging or miniaturising naturally occurring compositions of plants that I found in the garden and surrounding landscape.
- Gathering, Make Hauser & Wirth Somerset, Installation Shot, 2020, Photographer Emma Lewis
- Summer Iris, 2020, porcelain, 28x30x32cm, Photographer Emma Lewis
- Echinacea, Blood grass, Sporobolus, 2020, porcelain, wire, 20x18x52cm, Photographer Emma Lewis
- Horsetail, Bindweed, Plantain, 2020, porcelain, 20x22x38cm, Photographer Emma Lewis
- Stachys and Bindweed, 2020, Porcelain, wood, 30 x 54 x 10 D cm, Photographer Emma Lewis
- Tangle Bloodgrass, 2020, Stoneware, 15 x 18 x 10D cm, Photographer Emma Lewis
- The Field, 2020, Porcelain, wire, 45 x 12 x 50H cm, Photographer Emma Lewis
- Wild Swim, 2020, (detail), porcelain, glaze, wood, glass, 46x26x28cm, Photographer Emma Lewis