Assistant Professor of Instruction in Ceramics and Technology at Ohio University, Athens, OH
Posted on February 21, 2023
Applications are due March 20, 2023
The College of Fine Arts and the School of Art + Design at Ohio University invite applications for a full-time, 9-month, non-tenure-track faculty position to teach undergraduate and graduate courses across existing and developing curriculum. The successful candidate will focus on the ceramic vessel and technology to work on new ceramic program developments and to serve as an innovator in the School of Art + Design. The successful candidate will also proactively keep the discipline of studio ceramics competitive and current and an interest in interdisciplinary engagement with areas across the community and university. This position will build enrollment in the Fine Arts with a focus on developing program recruiting initiatives. The successful candidate must also demonstrate strength in strategic communication, with a high level of organizational skills. This position includes undergraduate, graduate teaching, and service responsibilities. The School of Art + Design seeks a dynamic candidate with a rich and varied skill set that effectively combine emerging technologies with the field of studio ceramics. We seek a candidate with a commitment to working effectively with all levels of undergraduate and graduate students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds. We also seek a candidate who will work successfully in coordination with School, College, and University initiatives. Position beginning in August 2023.
Teaching emphasis is in undergraduate and graduate studio and lecture courses across existing and developing curriculum (with a focus in ceramic vessel-making and technology), as well as in foundations courses. The successful candidate must also be able to work with program faculty in developing and delivering courses as outlined by the School of Art + Design, including course and curriculum building and new and online courses/programs. Assistance with auxiliary programs, community engagement, and cross-college initiatives is also expected. Participation on School, College and/or University Committees will also be required.
A terminal degree in Ceramics or related fields; professional creative research practice in ceramics and technology; teaching experience; ability to teach in technology based program.
• Ability to incorporate technology into the ceramics curriculum
• Knowledge of 3D design software and digital fabrication equipment
• Evidence of an ability to operate ceramic and digital fabrication equipment
• Evidence of an established pottery/vessel-based ceramics research practice
• Knowledge of kiln building as well as a strong familiarity with kiln technologies, such as gas, electric, wood firing, soda firing and other atmospheric firing methods
• Evidence of successful teaching experience/or teaching ability at both the graduate and the undergraduate level
• Ability to serve on graduate committees for MFA/MA students
• Strong knowledge of ceramic materials and processes including clay and glaze formulation
• Interdisciplinary/cross disciplinary arts knowledge and training in history, theory and practice, and the technological applications of ceramics
• Experience with interdisciplinary/community engagement initiatives in ceramics/including collaborative work
• Interest in recruitment and retention for ceramics and emerging technologies
• Interest in building, organizing and guiding student engagement in experiential learning opportunities
• Ability to coordinate courses with part-time faculty and graduate teaching associates, as well as successful experience in graduate student training and mentoring
Special Instructions to Applicants
To apply, please complete online application and upload all required documents, including detailed cover letter, teaching philosophy, resume or CV and a list of 3 professional references with current contact information including email address. Additionally, applicants must send twenty examples of current work and twenty examples of student work to be uploaded as a single PDF as the “other” document. Position will remain open until filled. For full consideration, please apply by March 20, 2023.
This position is eligible for the following benefits: medical, vision, dental, basic and supplemental life, paid holidays, educational benefits for you and eligible dependents, sick leave, and retirement.
Leave a Reply