Brittany Mojo: The Swell (nowness, again) is on view at Mindy Solomon Gallery, Miami
January 7 – February 11, 2023
Mindy Solomon is pleased to introduce Los Angeles based artist Brittany Mojo for her first solo exhibition in Miami. A consummate pattern maker and potter, Mojo brings a lively array of vessel forms embellished with a variety of black and white and pastel imagery.
Using traditionally craft materials, repetitive processes, and domestic objects, Mojo negotiates functional objects and their relationship to women’s work. The pieces are often made from materials that leave evidence of the hand, confronting sculpture and craft, fine art and design, and the nuanced concepts within.
Concerned with the image of function as the armature for material exploration and installation, ideas consider the gendered experience in the everyday. They often offer material as content and hold an intimate relationship to the body. Objects like vessels, lamps, tools, bikes, and furniture are realized from materials that leave evidence of the hand. This becomes an artifact of production; a record of time spent. The work is of time and labor, an investigation into the practices of gendered work.
As installation, the work is both physical and unreal, both bodily and cerebral—where the strange takes form at the intersection of familiarity and ambiguity. The installation elicits contradictions between these objects, where each relationship oscillates between receiving and rejecting, between acknowledging and denying, and between celebration and mourning.
The viewer becomes implicated through the objects in the room as the body is addressed in all stages of production. Through content, a chair may hold the body, while a vessel may be the body. Through process, capturing evidence of the body in material. Through installation, addressing a body as active experience.
The work is always in motion; individual objects are never expected to serve a singular purpose. They become much like the world that surrounds us: both anonymous and intensely personal.
Bringing together elements of contemporary art, craft and design, Mojo embodies the programmatic philosophy of the Mindy Solomon Gallery. Fresh, funky and vibrant each vessel is interconnected to each other and to the viewer.
Mindy Solomon Gallery
848 NW 22 Street
Miami, FL 33127
Photos by Zachary Balber
- In the Flowers, 2022, Stoneware, porcelain, and underglaze, 16″ x 17″ x 17″
- Flower and Pellet, 2022, Porcelain, stoneware, and underglaze, 24″ x 10″ x 10″
- Flower with Stopper, 2022, Stoneware, underglaze, and porcelain appliqué with underglaze, 15″ x 15″ x 13″
- Black and white (for Victor), 2022, Stoneware, underglaze, and porcelain slip, 18.5″ x 17.5″x 18.5″
- Love me not, 2022, Stoneware and underglaze, 12″ x 10″ x 10″
- Make it Happen, 2022, Stoneware, porcelain slip, and underglaze, 11″ x 10″ x 10″
- Inky Outline, 2022, Stoneware, porcelain slip, and underglaze, 13″ x 11″ x 11″
- On and on, 2022, Porcelain and underglaze, 8″ x 9.5″ x 9.5″
- Squiggle, Squiggle, 2022, Stoneware and underglaze, 12″ x 10″ x 10″
Leave a Reply