Facets: Contemporary Expressions in Sculptural Ceramics is on view at MOCA Jacksonville, Jacksonville
September 6 – November 26, 2023
Facets: Contemporary Expressions in Sculptural Ceramics features work by eleven internationally recognized contemporary ceramic artists working to push the boundaries in the vibrant and rapidly evolving landscape of contemporary sculptural ceramics. Many of them, like artists Iva Haas and Todd Shanafelt, incorporate materials such as wood, metal, and fabric into their work in order to explore abstract or mechanical forms; while artists such as Tom Bartel explore the figure through fragmentation and simplification of the human form. Others, like Matt Miltros, synthesize the two, creating forms from composites of the physical body and the synthetic world; while yet others look to the landscape and natural world for inspiration.
Artists: Tom Bartel, Linda Cordell, Iva Haas, Brain Harper, Peter Chirstian Johnson, Ben Lambert, Matt Miltros, Virginia Scotchie, Todd Shanafelt, John Utgaard, Matthew Wilt
The UNF Gallery at MOCA Jacksonville is programmed in collaboration with the Department of Art, Art History, and Design at the University of North Florida (UNF). This exhibition was curated by Stephen Heywood, Professor of Ceramics and Trevor Dunn, Associate Professor of Ceramics. Both professors have lectured internationally, led workshops around the country, and have extensively exhibited their work. They engage in ground-breaking scholarly research, and as experts in their fields, provide outstanding undergraduate instruction through a broad and diverse curriculum. The UNF Ceramics department’s dynamic and innovative programs go beyond curriculum and classroom walls to foster experiential and transformational learning through internships, community engagement, undergraduate research and exhibition, study abroad, and gallery practice and museum study opportunities in collaboration with MOCA.
Museum of Contemporary Art Jacksonville
A Cultural Institute of UNF
333 North Laura Street
Jacksonville, Florida 32202
- All Installation views — Facets: Contemporary Expressions in Sculptural Ceramics, installation view. September 6 – November 26, 2023. Museum of Contemporary Art Jacksonville, Jacksonville, Florida.
- © Tom Bartel, Gramps, 2023. Ceramic, vitreous slip, sigillata, and copper oxide, 34 x 16 x 14 in. Courtesy of the artist.
- © Linda Cordell, Fuchs Mit, 2021. Porcelain, 20 x 20 x 10 in. Courtesy of the artist.
- © Linda Cordell, Sacred/ Profane #1, 2018. Porcelain, 22 x 16 x 11 in. Courtesy of the artist.
- © Iva Haas, X Factor, 2023. Clay, Car Paint, Flocking, Glass, Foam, House Paint, and Cord, 10.5 x 11 x 11 in. Courtesy of the artist.
- © Iva Haas, Orange Crush, 2020. Clay, Car Paint, Foam, 5.5 x 6 x 6 in. Courtesy of the artist.
- © Iva Haas, Candy, 2022. Clay, 8.5 x 5.5 x 5.5 in. Courtesy of the artist.
- © Brian Harper, Station Mount from “Bunker Series”, 2023. Ceramic wood, 15 x 14 x 14 in. Courtesy of the artist.
- © Peter Christian Johnson, Horizon, 2021. Porcelain, 3.5 x 18 x 18 in. Courtesy of the artist.
- © Ben Lambert, Greene Right Going (Dinner at 8:00), 2023. Stoneware, underglaze, and glaze, 23 x 13 x 8 in. Courtesy of the artist.
- © John Utgaard, Blue Mountain Body (Reflection), 2023. Glazed Earthenware, 9 x 6 x 5 in. Courtesy of the artist.
- © John Utgaard, Doubling Mountain Body, 2023. Glaze Earthenware, 8 x 10 x 8 in. Courtesy of the artist.