King Houndekpinkou: Gravity, 2020
The exhibition explores Gravity with great sensitivity and poetry: the physical law that brings every being back to earth.
Inspired by animist cultures, particularly from Japan and Benin, King continues his spiritual and artistic quest. Through these creations, he questions the concept of earthly attraction to which the living is permanently subjected, without even being aware of it.
Thinking about gravity, extricating oneself from the materiality of daily life, and making everyone become aware of the surrounding vital forces. An ode to craftsmanship, the works presented are composed of different shapes which, once dissociated from each other, reveal the elementary forms of pottery.
Beware, if gravity brings anchoring, rooting, it also implies the risk of falling, of crashing.
King surprises us with new works, strange and very expressive assemblages of heteroclite creations, halfway between the organic and the vegetal form.
We then leave the universalism of the main theme as each piece has its own identity and exerts on the viewer a peculiar attraction. Each one has its own energy, its own gravity : this fatal force attracting the viewer, speaking to him and gives rise to their emotion.
Exhibition at Galerie Vallois, Paris, 2020
Photos courtesy of the artist. Captions:
- Gravité: Trempé dans une mer d’acide, 2020, Black stoneware, blue glaze, ma6e blue and fluorescent acrylic paint, H. 39 × diam 24 cm
- Gravité: Habillé d’une Robe Flamboyante…, 2020, Black stoneware, orange and red glaze, matte red fluorescent orange acrylic paint, H. 58,5 x diam 37 cm
- Gravité: Allo ? Allo ? Allo ? Allo ? Allo ?, 2020, Black and white stoneware, red and turquoise blue glaze, gold paint, H. 56 x diam 34cm
- Gravité: Point d’encrage, rythmes et cris, 2020, Black stoneware, pink, white and blue glaze, green/yellow fluorescent acrylic paint, pink luster, H 62 x diam 30 cm
- Gravité: Sur l’Autel Coulent à Flot les Couleurs de l’Âme, 2020, Black and white stoneware, red, turquoise blue, pink, yellow, fluorescent orange and yellow acrylic glazes, silver luster, H 56,5 x diam. 34 cm
- Gravité: Cavilux – Pourpre & Rouge – Chrysanthème, 2020, Black and white stoneware, blue glazes, golden luster, H 34 x diam. 39 cm
- Gravité: Contredire Puis Guérir, 2020, Black and white stoneware, green and turquoise glaze, matte green and fluorescent acrylic paint, H 53,5 x diam. 45 cm
Leave a Reply