Assistant Professor of Ceramics and Expanded Media at Lawrence University, Appleton, WI
Posted on November 18, 2022
The Department of Studio Art at Lawrence University seeks to fill a tenure-track position in Ceramics and Expanded Media at the assistant professor level. Successful candidate will teach undergraduate courses (introduction through advanced levels) in studio art and ceramics. Candidates with hybrid practices – community arts practice, art-based activism, installation, and/or time-based media – are strongly encouraged to apply.
A successful candidate will have an MFA, excellent teaching and research promise, and a commitment to the foundational principles of a liberal education, including willingness to periodically teach in our signature First-Year Studies program.
Duties and Expectations:
- Teach Ceramics I, II, and III
- Teach special topics course(s) in Ceramics and/or Expanded Media
- Teach ART 100 Intro to 3D Art and/or ART 110 Intro to 2D Art
- Perform duties including departmental assignments, ordering supplies, supervision of studio and studio assistant, maintenance of studio and equipment and overseeing a safe working environment
- Teaching load: Two classes per term, three term calendar (10 weeks per term)
- Academic advising (after first year)
- University service/committee work
- MFA in Studio Art required
- Record of exhibitions and professional accomplishments required
- Experience teaching studio art at the college level required
- Experience with interdisciplinary projects preferred
Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications. Position includes benefits and private studio with kiln.
- Letter of application highlighting qualifications for this position
- Curriculum vitae
- 20 images of recent work (pdf format)
- 10 images of student work (pdf format)
- Statement of artistic practice
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- A statement on diversity describing your experience related to addressing issues of diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in an academic setting and ways that you would contribute to these efforts at Lawrence.
- List of 3 references with phone number and email
We welcome applications from individuals who will help us create a more inclusive Lawrence by: (1) further diversifying the faculty; and/or (2) demonstrating experience with successful diversity-related initiatives, creative activity or research; and (3) demonstrating interest in developing inclusive pedagogy to address the needs of a diverse student body, particularly as these pedagogies relate to antiracism and decolonizing the curriculum.
Lawrence University is a selective undergraduate liberal arts college and conservatory of music located in Appleton, Wisconsin. Lawrence is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and provides a variety of social and mentoring opportunities for employees from underrepresented groups. The Department of Art has excellent facilities to support faculty research and teaching, including private studio with kiln.
Leave a Reply