Darien Arikoski-Johnson: Selected works, 2019-2023
My work represents the current entanglement of human cognition and digital processing. The recent proliferation of the camera‐phone enables us to record spontaneously. Experience is interrupted to capture and store moments. The recordings are used for recollection; however, over time our reliance on the two‐dimensional image to replace perceptual experience flattens and fragments the memory. By dissecting and altering these fragments, my work raises awareness of a continually altered state of visual consciousness. It makes reference to a shift in contemporary experience relating to the cognitive processing of sight.
- Contorted Schema, 2023, Stoneware, Porcelain and mixed media, 62.5 x 21.5 x 21 in.
- Soft Distortion, 2023, Porcelain and mixed media, 17 x 8 x 11 in.
- Untitled, 2022, Porcelain and mixed media
- A Broken Pattern, 2019, Porcelain and mixed media, 51 x 12 x 12 in.
- Asymmetrical Synaptics, 2019, Porcelain and mixed media, 64 x 12 x 8 in.
- Br103, 2020, Porcelain and mixed media, 63 x 19 x 13 in.
- Brought to Center, 2019, Porcelain and mixed media, 78 x 19 x 13 in.
- Folding Thoughts, 2019, Porcelain and mixed media, 60 x 13 x 6 in
- Fragmented Framing, 2019, Porcelain and mixed media, 65 x 17 x 17 in.