Ceramics Technician at Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, NY
Posted on June 10, 2022
Applications due July 18, 2022
Pratt Institute is seeking a Ceramics Technician with excellent technical, communication, and organizational skills to support the Department of Fine Arts. The successful candidate will supervise day-to-day shop activities, provide technical support to students and faculty, direct and maintain equipment operation to ensure a safe and efficient working environment, and oversee and develop Pratt’s clay and glaze program. The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in materials research, ceramics technology, and 3-D printing. If you can demonstrate your ability to operate and oversee the use of computer-operated kilns, and possess extensive knowledge in all aspects of Ceramics, wheel throwing, hand building, and slip-casting, then we want to hear from you!
On a typical day you will be required to:
• Oversee the usage and maintenance of shop equipment and ensure safety protocols are followed
• Hire and supervise student employees; assist students with use of equipment
• Support faculty with technical aspects of shop courses
• Order and maintain inventory of tools and supplies, create budget proposals, submit purchase requisitions, and make recommendations for shop improvements
• Manage lab fee budget, and distribution of materials to students
This is a Technical Local 153 position. Salary is $51,111.00 + generous benefits
• Education: BFA Required / MFA Preferred
Experience: 2 years minimum related experience assisting or managing a shop/studio or similar environment.
• Must have exceptional organizational skills as well as excellent verbal and written interpersonal skills.
• Must have a serious interest in materials research. Must be well versed in all aspects of Ceramics, wheel throwing, hand building, and slip-casting, Must have the ability to handle computer-operated kilns. Should have a serious interest in ceramics technology; 3-D printing, etc. Must be able to lift up to 50lbs.
• Must be proficient with Word & Excel and have knowledge of Adobe and Google drive.
Pratt Institute gives the creative leaders of tomorrow the knowledge and experience to make a better world. A top-ranked college with opportunities in art, design, architecture, liberal arts and sciences, and information studies, Pratt offers nearly 50 undergraduate and graduate degree programs. The Institute’s impact expands beyond its 25-acre residential campus in Brooklyn to cutting-edge facilities throughout the borough, an additional historic building and public gallery in Manhattan, as well as an extension campus, PrattMWP College of Art and Design in Utica, New York. Since its founding in 1887, Pratt has prioritized diversity and inclusion, welcoming students from all walks of life while developing and sustaining pathways to more equitable workplaces and careers. Today, Pratt and its exceptional faculty pride themselves on being academically excellent as well as adaptable to both in-person and online learning. Pratt students are part of a collaborative, interdisciplinary, research- and inquiry-based education that prepares them for professional and personal success in creative fields and with the goal of contributing to a more just and sustainable world. With a long-held commitment to the communities of New York, Pratt offers a variety of programs for local pre-college and continuing education students in the Pratt Center for Community Development, the Center for Art, Design and Community Engagement, the Pratt Center K-12, and the School for Continuing and Professional Studies. The value of a Pratt education is evident in its graduates’ diverse and thriving careers, where their designs, art, work, and environments have reimagined our world. In over 75 countries across the globe, Pratt’s 61,000 alumni are advancing the creative economy and making a positive impact through their remarkable work and research.
Please submit your cover letter and resume. If you are selected for an interview, please be prepared to provide at least 5 professional references via Pratt Institute’s online reference tool. At least 2 of your references must be or have been, your direct managers.
For best consideration, applications should be received by July 18, 2022.