Job opportunity: Assistant Professor of Art with emphasis in Ceramics at California State University, Los Angeles
California State University (Cal State LA), College of Arts & Letters, Department of Art seeks qualified candidates for a tenure-track position as Assistant Professor of Art with emphasis in Ceramics, starting August 2022.
Starting Date: August, 2022. Apply here.
1) An earned M.F.A.(or equivalent terminal degree) from an accredited institution (or equivalent) is required at the time of application.
3) Evidence of an ability to teach a broad range of techniques in ceramics ranging from hand building to conceptual sculpture.
4) Evidence of an ability to bring contemporary art theory to practice in the class environment.
5) Evidence of a skilled contemporary art practice with an active exhibition record.
6) Evidence of an ability to supervise a ceramics facility and equipment.
1) Evidence of an interdisciplinary contemporary approach to the field of ceramics.
2) Evidence of successful teaching experience at the graduate level.
3) Evidence of successful experience coordinating courses with part-time faculty and teaching associates.
4) Evidence of successful experience working with student assistants, and staff.
The primary professional responsibilities of instructional faculty members are: teaching, research, scholarship and/or creative activity, and service to the University, profession and to the community. These responsibilities generally include: advising students, participation in campus and system-wide committees, maintaining office hours, working collaboratively and productively with colleagues, and participation in traditional academic functions.
The successful candidate will support our students in developing creative works and projects as part of a socially and culturally engaged college and will teach undergraduate and graduate students in the BA-Art and MFA, Studio Art programs.
As a member of the faculty, the successful candidate will also actively participate in the continued development of the Art Department programs.
The successful candidate will be committed to the academic success of all of our students and to an environment that acknowledges, encourages, and celebrates diversity and differences. To this end, the successful candidate will work effectively, respectfully, and collaboratively in diverse, multicultural, and inclusive settings. In addition, the successful candidate will be ready to join faculty, staff, students, and administrators in our University’s shared commitment to the principles of engagement, service, and the public good.
Salary: Initial salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
California State University, Los Angeles (Cal State LA) is one of 23 campuses within the California State University system. The University is the premier comprehensive public university in the heart of Los Angeles. Cal State LA is ranked number one in the U.S. for the upward mobility of its students, and is dedicated to engagement, service, and the public good. We offer nationally recognized programs in science, the arts, business, criminal justice, engineering, nursing, education, ethnic studies, and the humanities. Our faculty have a strong commitment to scholarship, research, creative pursuits, community engagement, and service.
Our 240,000 alumni reflect the City and County’s dynamic mix of populations. The University has one of the most diverse student populations of any college or university in the nation. As a federally recognized Hispanic-Serving Institution, and Asian-American, Native American, and Pacific Islander-Serving Institution, Cal State LA recognizes the transformative power of education and embraces its duty to identify and serve the needs of all of its students. The University is committed to creating a community in which a diverse population can live, work and learn in an atmosphere of civility and respect for the rights and sensibilities of each individual.
The Cal State LA College of Arts & Letters transforms lives and sustains thriving communities and cultures. We develop and amplify our students’ unique talents, diverse life experiences, and intellects through the study and practice of the Arts and Humanities so that they can tell meaningful stories, forge their professional pathways, and inspire their communities.
The Department of Art offers the Bachelor of Arts, Master of Arts, and Master of Fine Arts degrees, and 775 majors are currently enrolled. The Department is the largest in the College, and is home to the fifth largest major in the University. There are fifteen full-time faculty and 42 lecturers. Cal State L.A. has maintained NASAD accreditation since 1974.
Please submit in a ONE SINGLE PDF of 10 MB or Less the following to the Search Committee Chair at the email address below:
1) A cover letter specifically addressing Minimum and Preferred Qualifications.
2) A narrative statement describing your commitment to working effectively with faculty, staff, and students in a multicultural/multiethnic urban campus environment with a substantial population of students who are among the first-generation of their family to attend a college or university.
3) A curriculum vitae.
4) A list of three professional references.
5) A University Application for Employment Form
6) Twelve (12) images of professional work that address Minimum Qualification #5 and Preferred Qualifications #1 (if applicable) (see above) and are clearly identified with an image list.
7) Twelve (12) images of student work that address Minimum qualification #2, #3, #4 and Preferred Qualification #2 (if applicable) (see above) and are clearly identified with an image list.
8) Artist Statement addressing Minimum and Preferred Qualifications not to exceed one page.
9) Teaching Philosophy, addressing Minimum and Preferred Qualifications not to exceed one page.
Finalists will be required to submit: Official transcripts.
Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
Due to COVID travel restrictions, finalist interviews, presentations and campus tours will be conducted remotely to ensure equitable treatment for all candidates. A general campus introduction and virtual tour is available here.
Review of applications will begin November 15, 2021, and will continue until January 17, 2022. (NO applications will be reviewed after January 17, 2022)
Please email all application materials in ONE SINGLE PDF of 10 MB or less to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please type “Department of Art, Ceramics, Tenure-Track Application” in the subject line.
Please address all questions to the search committee chair, Carole Frances Lung-Bazile, at: email@example.com